I wanted to very quickly post my thoughts on my Sephora PLAY! boxes from April and May before my June box arrives later this month. Let's jump into it!
April 2018 - PLAY! Box
My April box arrived while I was on vacation in Italy. I wanted enough time to try out some of the products, so I've definitely had enough time!
- Burberry - My Burberry Blush: My first impressions, smells nice! I'm not very good at reviewing fragrances... aside from "smells good" and "smells bad".
- Dr. Dennis Gross - Ferulic + Retinol Wrinkle Recovery Peel: I honestly forgot I received this until just now. I guess I was never particularly excited about receiving an "anti-wrinkle" product, being in my early twenties with normal, non-problematic skin. Maybe I'll give it a try during my next "at home spa day".
- Buxom - Full On Lip Polish: I, unfortunately, recycled my pamphlet that mentions the shade name for this lip gloss, but the color is beautiful! It is pinky translucent gloss with shimmer in it. I really love having it on plain over top some lip balm, although I imagine it would also look beautiful over a lipstick. It's the perfect amount of shimmer and doesn't look too obnoxiously glittery. It just adds a little extra power to the sheen of the gloss.
- Make Up Forever - Ultra HD Perfector Skin Tint Foundation SPF 25: while in Italy I had a very simple make-up routine so we could get out the door fast. For my face, instead of my usual medium cover foundation, I used a BB cream, topped with powdered foundation if I felt like having just a little more coverage. I really liked this routine, especially when I feel like I need to run out the door. This skin tint is very lovely. It feels lightweight on the skin. The coverage wasn't as good as my Dr. Jart BB cream, but it still covered up the redness in my cheeks. I'll probably always top the MUF skin tint with a powder, to give it some extra help, but I still really enjoy this product.
- Kihel's - Powerful Strength Line Reducing Concentrate: This was, again, not a product that was memorable to me. The purpose of the product, same as Dr. Dennis Gross, is to reduce the appearance of fine lines. I still have not found myself using it.
- Purity - Simple Ultra-Light Moisturizer: Ultra-Light is right! This moisturizer does feel light, while still moisturizing the skin. I've used this moisturizer in the morning before applying make-up. My sample was quite small, which I didn't appreciate. I'm also not a fan of the smell. but it still feels nice on the skin!
May 2018 - PLAY! Box
- Viktor & Rolf - Flowerbomb: There's not much to say here. This has to have been the 5th time I received this fragrance in a PLAY! Box. While I enjoy the delightfully floral scent, it's no longer an exciting product to me.
- Bumble and Bumble - Thickening Spray: I received this product very shortly after purchasing a Ouai set that also came with a volumizing spray. I've always been a big fan of Ouai products, and the spray did not disappoint. I find myself gravitating towards Ouai over Bumble, but it's not to say that Bumble and Bumble doesn't do the job, because it does. The thickening spray is still a nice product, but I wouldn't rate it among my top favorites. I prefer the scent of other sprays I've had in the past, and while I feel a little volume in my hair it's not as powerful as other sprays I've tried.
- Becca - Shimmering Skin Perfector Pressed Highlighter in Champagne Pop: This is a product I'm already familiar with. I, among other fans of Jacalyn Hill, purchased this highlighter the day it arrived in Sephora stores. I was obsessed with this highlighter, and at the time of it's release it was only the 2nd powdered highlight I owned after Becca's Opal. I very much enjoy having a small, travel sized compact that I can easily throw into my make-up bag.
- benefit - The Porefessional Primer: Another product I'm familiar with. The Porefessional was once my holy grail primer. I used it literally everyday for at least a year. It's still a great primer in my eyes, but I have since branched out and tried others. Since the weather's getting warmer, and my skin's not so dry I'm happy to have a little bit of this available to me. I'll definitely use it up.
- Kat Von D - Tattoo Liner in Trooper: Again, another product I'm familiar with. KvD's tattoo liner was once my holy grail liner, before I made the switch to Stila's Stay All Day liner. Even today I still find myself going back and forth between which liquid liner I prefer. It's been a while since I've repurchased this product, so I'm happy to receive one. I'm thinking I'll keep this pen in my daily make-up bag for touch ups throughout the day if I need it.
- Sephora Collection - Mud Mask Purifying & Mattifying: I LOVE mud masks, so at first glance I was excited to receive one. I was waiting to finish up another mud mask I had in my bathroom before breaking into this one, but I also found myself receiving a trial size of Glam Glow's Supermud Treatment in my Sephora birthday gift. I once bought into the hype of Glam Glow when beauty influencers were promoting it like crazy, but I concluded that their masks just didn't work well for me. However, getting a free sample size got me excited. I mean I do love free things. That's when I remembered that the Supermud treatment literally felt like my face was being burned, like a hot skillet was being pressed onto my face. The burning sensation went away after a minute or so, but it was not a pleasant feeling. The Sephora Collection mud mask was very reminiscent of the Glam Glow Supermud treatment, beginning with an intense burning sensation that made me want to rinse it off immediately. I understand that there are masks that "warm up" upon contact to the skin, but I feel like I should not be able to feel pain while caring for my skin. This mud mask, is unfortunately, a pass.
Overall, I'm quite happy with my May Box, despite receiving multiple products that I have already tried before. It's been some time since I've played with these old goodies, so it's nice to be reminded of products that stood the test of time and to this day are still, in my mind, stand out products, especially among new beauty products that seem to come into the market daily. My April box was a bit disappointing, having gotten many products that I don't really use much and even forgotten about. April was so long ago though, so we'll keep that in the past. The June Box will be arriving soon, so let's hope for the best!