Quick life update:
The last week of 2017 started off like anybody else's. I vowed to say goodbye to a year of constant stress, toxicity, and an unexpected wave of depression. "2018 is going to be my year!" I said along with several other optimistic 20-something-year-olds still treading along in student debt.
Now as we approach March I feel much more confident in my claim, 2018 IS going to be my year. Within the first week of January I started a new career in Boston (anybody who knows of my past employment will know how much of a relief it is to finally work in my city), I moved in with my partner of 2.5 yrs, and with my first big fat paycheck (and my last paycheck from my previous job) I was finally able to give myself the title of "DEBT FREE"! I did not expect to check off so many goals on my list within the first 30 days of 2018, but it pleases me that I am now able to focus on my other goals, like finally going back to being a creative being and actively sharing my designs/creations/thoughts online.
PLAY! Box - January '18
I wanted to ease into being more active content creator by doing something I'm comfortable with, and that is talking about all the beauty products I obtain. I'm still not over the subscription box phase of my life. As somebody who love discovering new products, sub-boxes are my jam. The Play! Box from Sephora has been my favorite out of others I've tried, which included BirchBox, Boxycharm, and ipsy.
My January review got lost among working my new job WHILE ALSO working the last two weeks at my old job, and moving in with T-Man in Charlestown. Although 2018 is shaking up to be a great year for me, it's not looking so great in my Play! boxes. I've been subscribed to Sephora Play! since it released and I enjoyed it a lot the first couple of years, however, I feel it's starting to lose me a little. January's box was NOT a good start to my year of new discoveries. Here's why:
- Smashbox - Photo Finish Primerizer: I kept the primer in it's card for visibility in the photo as the actual sample itself is disappointingly small. The bottle it is maybe 1/2" tall, but I've found a little bit goes a long way since I've used it a couple times and I still have enough for just a few more tries. The primer definitely feels moisturizing, which was nice during this very cold January.
- Briogeo - Don't Despair, Repair!: now this sample was truly the biggest disappointment in the entire box. Not only because it is a foil packet, but because I have received this product in a previous Play! box... and that sample was a much larger tube. I do like this deep conditioning mask though. As somebody who is still recovering from frequent dye jobs, my hair was singing "Hallelujah". However, this was my first time receiving a foil packet in my Play! box and I was shook.
- Clinique - Pep Start Eye Cream: I can't remember if this is another repeat from a previous box or a sample I was given to for free on a recent trip to Sephora, because this is definitely something I've received before. Either way, another disappointment. It's an okay eye cream. It feels hydrating when applied, but I honestly can't see much of a difference.
- GlamGlow - SuperCleanse: Definitely another repeat. I remember being really excited to try this product out before, and thank god I didn't purchase the full size because it BURNED! #trash
- Lancome - Cils Booster XL Super Enhancing Mascara Base: I don't use mascara primers, so ..... what do?
- Ole Henriksen -Hygge HydroClay Detox Mask: THIS product I am excited about. I love a good face mask. I could mask everyday. Unfortunately this is somewhere in a box, so I can't give any opinions just yet....
Play! Box - February '18
January was not a good start to my year of goodies, but I told myself February would be different. I low-key love Valentine's Day because I low-key love the color pink (that's literally it. I just like that everything's pink and heart shaped). And I am all about the notion of loving yourself, but I did not find myself loving this box.
- Sephora - Cream Lip Stain: Another repeat, but worse! A repeat of a dud. I received this lip product in the same "Always Red" color in a previous box and was unimpressed. It came in the same card (that I left for visibility) because this sample tube is also only 1/2" tall. The wand was microscopic, which made application challenging. It doesn't upset me too much since I don't wear lipstick very often anyways, but a girl can't even get a new color?
- Sephora - Rouge Matte: A repeat product, but at least it's a new color! I did give this guy away, but it's not a terrible lipstick. I don't wear lip products often because I can very picky when it comes to formulation. So, not bad, just not my favorite.
- Lancome - Monsieur Big Mascara: Truthfully, I'm the kind of person who will use up a mascara until it's bad before opening a new one. Mascara doesn't last long, people! I'll crack this open once my IT! Cosmetics Mascara goes bad.
- First Aid Beauty - Ginger & Tumeric Vitamin C Jelly Mask: YAY! A new product that looks intriguing! I've only used this guy once, but first impressions: the smell is pleasant, it feels so good once applied (tingly and cooling), and even better once you rinse it off. This mask claims to smooth and brighten skin. We'll see if this holds true.
- Belief - Moisturizing Eye Bomb: Another new product I've never tried. I am a HUGE fan of Belief's Aqua Bomb, so I had high hopes for this eye cream. So far I am really loving it. It has the same cooling sensation as Tony Moly's Panda's Dream So Cool Eye Stick (if you've used it), but its much more moisturizing. I have this product in the line up with my morning skin care routine. It really helps my eyes wake up in the morning! I've used it every day since my box delivered. 10/10 would repurchase.
- Viktor & Rolf - Flowerbomb: This has got to be my 10000th sample of this perfume, from this box and other retailers. Old news.
I hope to continue sharing my thoughts on my monthly box. I also hope that Sephora steps up it's game, as the Play! Box has truly been a subscription box I always enjoyed receiving.
Until next time! <3